Tuesday 19 February 2013

I'm back!

So it has been almost a month since my first blog, and not much being going on, doing my daily carer duty 24/7, and desperately trying to learn things in the free time I have assuming I'm not exhausted physically or emotionally. So far, I've learned how to make tileable walls and texture using 3ds Max and Zbrush, learned the proper way to make a hight map, and learned advance mesh painting in UDK. And I must say, they were some awesome stuff I learned, shockingly  the thing I learned most from wasn't in 3ds Max or Zbrush, it was Photoshop, the ability to manipulate the RGB channels and how that can make a big difference in UDK, so instead of importing 3 or 4 greyscale textures into UDK, you can import the 1 greyscale textures, but each channel hold a separate greyscale texture. then I found something else which was awesome on polycount forums, they are holding a monthly noob environment challenge -
It is exactly as the name implies, so it is perfect grounds for me to get back into the game! but despite the name, some people and making some seriously high class stuff in there, so I got a big challenge ahead of me if I want to be good competition, and it is already the 4th one, which will end on the 28th. 


But unfortunately, now I'm down with a REALLY bad case of the cold/cough. Aside from stopping my ability to focus and think, it is also stopping me from doing my full carer duties due to my fathers low white blood count, I do not want him to catch this off me. While this means I have more free time since I'm not needed every 15 minutes, it frustrates me that I can't do work properly, and the competition only has 9 more days! I'll try my hardest but darn it, it wont be my better work :(

 I'll try to keep stuff posted on this, here is the original concept: 

And from that I extrapolated the modular and non modular assets I'll need to make, this was also reacently learned from Chris Albeluhm's website -
Sadly, I don't know the process of creating a mood colour scheme, so all I did for that was use the eyedropper tool in Photoshop and selected light and shadow from multiple places in the concept art:

Lastly, I did a blockout of it in UDK using brushes and a pre-installed asset to see if I can make it resemble the original concept art:

It would seem my ability to perceive shape and form is still good enough despite being out of practice, but waw, it made me realise how terrible I am at UDK, I mean sure, I don't have much experience using it, but my lack of fundamental knowledge was shocking, I don't use Maya, but I still know how to use it. which is why in my sickness, I just keep watching video tutorials and hope some of it remains in my head for when I get better...

No comments:

Post a Comment